Care for Gold Filled Jewelry
Gold filled jewelry is a popular and affordable alternative to solid gold. It is created by bonding a thick layer of gold to a base metal, usually brass, using heat and pressure. While gold filled jewelry is durable, it still requires proper care to maintain its beauty and longevity.
- Keep it clean: Regularly clean your gold filled jewelry with mild soap and warm water. Gently scrub with a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove any dirt or oils.
- Avoid harsh chemicals: Avoid exposing your gold filled jewelry to harsh chemicals such as chlorine, bleach, and household cleaners. These chemicals can tarnish the gold layer and damage the base metal.
- Store it properly: Store your gold filled jewelry in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and moisture. Consider using a jewelry box or a soft cloth pouch to prevent scratches and tarnish.
- Gold filled is softer than solid gold. Take care not to tug, snag or bang gold filled rings.
Care for Copper Jewelry
Copper jewelry is known for its warm reddish-brown color and unique patina. Over time, copper jewelry naturally develops a patina, which adds character and depth to the piece. However, if you prefer to maintain the bright shine of copper, proper care is essential.
- Keep it dry: Copper jewelry should be kept dry and away from moisture. Remove your copper jewelry before showering, swimming, or engaging in any water-related activities.
- Polish regularly: To maintain the shine of copper jewelry, use a copper polish or a mixture of lemon juice and salt. Gently rub the polish onto the jewelry with a soft cloth, then rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Store it properly: Store your copper jewelry in a dry, airtight container to prevent exposure to air and moisture. Consider using anti-tarnish strips or a jewelry box lined with tarnish-resistant fabric.
- If copper turns your skin green, add a protective layer of clear fingernail polish to the inside of the band, or purchase a jewelry protection clear coat on Amazon.
By following these simple care tips, you can ensure that your gold filled and copper jewelry stays beautiful and retains its luster for years to come.